By Carole on Oct 19, 2011
The Occupy Wall Street protesters claim to be fighting back against "the role of Wall Street in creating the economic collapse that has caused the greatest recession in nearly a century." Agree or not, it may sound like a noble cause until you read something like this: "Hundreds of grimy protesters laying siege to Wall Street and stuffed into the now-smelly Zuccotti Park dine each night on gourmet meals prepared by a former hotel chef using only the finest organic ingredients." It's time these crusaders for the poor and working class stop play-acting and start doing some work. It's time to Occupy Reality.
In a Brooklyn soup kitchen Eric Smith, the ex-le Chef de Tournant at the Sheraton in Midtown, is preparing over 1,000 gourmet meals a day which are then delivered to the protesters in Zuccotti Park. "The other day, we made some wonderful salmon cakes with dill sauce and some quinoa salad and a wonderful tomato salad with fennel and red onion," said Mr. Smith.
Most of the produce, grass-fed meat and organic chicken is donated from small organic farms in upstate New York and New England and transported to the city. Certainly one wonders how small farmers and drivers with access to the transporting vehicles can afford such "donations" in the current economic client. But regardless of whether they are motivated by generosity, political ideology or some form of payback from protest organizers; it's impossible to hear about this kind of luxury being provided to people who can afford to spend weeks relaxing in a festival-like setting while there is so much actual need in New York City and the country at large.
If these protesters really want to endear themselves and their cause(s) to the American people and get the kind of exposure that could bring about real change, they should abandon their shanty town of whining spoiled brats (and their enablers) and go occupy reality. Get news coverage for a groundswell of new volunteers who could spotlight the diminished level of goods and services that are no longer available due to the state of the economy.
If these occupiers really want to show the world the damage caused by those they perceive as the evil 1%, they should roll up their sleeves and put some actual effort into meeting and helping the rest of the 99% they're so fond of claiming. Give up those free gourmet meals and work a few shifts at the local food pantry. Spearhead a clothing drive for the unemployed and their families. Join organizations that assist struggling seniors and the infirmed with day-to-day needs. Coach or tutor underprivileged kids. Sure, have the occasional rally but infuse the protests with real world experience and personal effort. Drop the entitlement attitude (and the wonderful salmon cakes with dill sauce) and you'll be amazed at the real progress you'd make.
|« Congress Just A Campaign Tool To Obama||As the Media Turns (On Obama) »|